Monday, July 18, 2011

Home ASYC Blog Page



Check out the pages to the right side of the screen for pictures and videos of each day.

Thursday, July 21 ASYC Student Journal
Today was the day that all-state (for me) seems to start. We traveled to Wingate University today. On our way we stopped and sang at three different places: first children’s home, second an assisted living or retirement home, and last we sang at Mooresville Baptist Church. Today was the best day of camp that we have had so far and the most….emotional and spiritual. When we were at the assisted living area we were singing one of our last songs when I noticed this precious lady crying, a nurse was talking to her saying “Yes happy tears, Happy Tears!” After words Dr. Potter gave us the chance to go out and mingle with everyone and I automatically went up to this women. I introduced myself and held her hand and just didn’t want to let go. More youth came over and began to talk to her and we learned from the nurse that she and her husband used to be missionaries in Africa and China. So some of the girls and I decided that we should sing he Ukuthula (one of our African songs). Once we started more and more people began to come over and sing also, and it was just extremely touching (I was balling and so was the woman). Then we all went to her room to sing to her and her Husband…and it was like nothing I have ever experienced before and it was just great….I could type all day so I will leave it with, today God truly touched me and I would venture as far as to say that this one event made my trip.
It was a truly…spectacular experience and I am so thankful that I was allowed to be apart of ASYC. God Bless!    P.S. I’m grateful for all of the friends who are around here to support each other in our hardest times.                   ~Taylor  S.

So, today was a pretty rough day for me. We first arrived at the Baptist Children’s Homes in Thomasville, it was a small crowd but many of them were very receptive of what we sang. I will pray for each of them and hope that they keep hope with them. Our second stop was the rest home in Huntersville. Dr. Potter asked the people to sing during “Christ the Solid Rock”, I have never seen anything more beautiful in my life. I noticed at least four different women singing and I’m certain there were more. As they sang they reminded me of my grandmother, who I knew so little about, I only know is that she had one of the most beautiful soprano voices. When I saw these women singing with such conviction while I was singing the same thing was one of the roughest moments in my life. But not as rough as what happened next. One older woman had started crying during our performance and Dr. Potter asked us to partake in fellowship with the residents many choir members went to this woman. The nurses asked us to sing another song for her and we sang one of our most beautiful renditions of Ukuthula, it took all my strength to not cry while I was singing. But when the nurses asked us to sing the song to both this woman and her husband, who have been married for the longest time, and we were on our way to see him I started to break down. The thoughts of the three deaths in my life overwhelmed me. When we sang to this woman and her husband half the choir completely broke down, myself included. We all clung to our nearest, and not so nearest, anchors to help support each other. It was the most beautiful thing I believe I will ever see in my life. I thank God for love that endures through the years and for friends who support and love each other.
                                 Tyler G.
This is my second year at All-State Youth Choir and I love it so much!! It has been a different and more relaxing experience this time around. I’m thinking that it’s because last year I was meeting ALL new people! But, this year, I know a lot of people from last year so it has been easier to connect. For me, there is no good way to describe how I feel when I am at All-State. But I love it!! The leaders, and fellow youth have been such a blessing to me. I am so very thankful for that! I can’t wait to see what God has is store for me in future years! And even the rest of this week!
-Trevor D.




No comments:

Post a Comment